Attempting to fix even seemingly minor electrical problems can pose the risk of devastating fires or even electrocution. If you notice a problem with your home's electrical system, you need to take it seriously.
Don't let electrical issues risk danger to your home and your family. Call an electrical contractor as soon as you see any of these problems.
Flickering or dimming lights are more than just a minor inconvenience. While it is easy to ignore them, especially if the lights come on after a short while, know that they are often a symptom of an overloaded circuit or deteriorating wiring. Some appliances use a lot of electricity. If they do not have dedicated circuits wired to them, they will influence the power distribution in your home, causing your lights to flicker or dim.
Whether it is an issue of power distribution or frayed wires, you need to call an electrical contractor the moment you notice this problem.
Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips
The circuit breaker is an important component of any electrical system. It monitors the electrical system and shuts it off the moment it detects an overload. It prevents an electrical surge or any other complication from causing electrical damage to your home.
Normally, the breaker will trip if your home uses many high voltage appliances at the same time. However, if the circuit breaker keeps tripping, it is a sign that your electrical system has an underlying problem. Call an electrical contractor as soon as you notice the issue.
Outlets With a Burning Smell
When an electrical outlet is overheating, you may notice a burning smell. You may even notice discolouration or burning on the outlet or brown marks on sockets and switches. First, switch off the outlet, switch off your appliances and call an emergency electrical contractor to avoid an electrical fire.
Humming or Buzzing Sound
Any humming or buzzing sounds from the breaker box are a sign that your wiring has a serious problem. Because your circuit breaker should protect you from electrical surges, having it damaged means that you and your home are vulnerable to electrical fires.
Take every buzz or hum seriously and call an electrical contractor immediately.
If you notice a spark when you try to connect to an outlet, it could be normal. However, if you notice abnormal sparks, it could be a sign that the wiring is faulty. An abnormal spark is big and could leap out the plug. It is also lengthy and takes some time to fizzle out. In addition, if you notice the spark is white or yellow instead of the normal blue spark, then this is definitely an abnormal spark.
Do not try to DIY electrical problems. Protect yourself and your home from electrical fires by having an electrical contractor's phone number on standby.