If you're planning to renovate your house or move to a new house, aside from changing your home décor, you may want to consider upgrading your switchboard. This is a sure way to guarantee electrical safety. If you are not sure whether this is the right investment, here are the top reasons you may want to reconsider your stand.
Is Your Home Old?
It's important to understand that electric standards change every year because of efficiency and safety reasons. Unless you've recently moved into a new home or remodelling your current home, there is no reason why you shouldn't upgrade your electrical connection.
Constant Blown Fuses
Many of the fuses in older homes were not designed with switchboards that can handle the load that modern appliances and homes place on them. Failing to upgrade the switchboards means that you'll have constant blown fuses which can be a great inconvenience.
While this can be helpful in preventing electrical fires or your electrical components from overheating, it can be annoying if you constantly have to call an electrician.
The Risk of Arching
The risk of fires from your old electrical switchboard is something you don't want to overlook. Any worn-out or loose connection should be attended to immediately because they cause electric sparks which can potentially cause a fire.
You may be at even greater risk if your current switchboard is fitted to an older style panel. Working with an electrician in such a case ensures that all your wiring is not only designed to the required standards but also electrically safe.
The Need for Safety Fuses
The Australian electrical standards require power circuits and lighting to be protected by safety switches. Choosing to use such hard-wired protection within your switchboard can help cut any excess power in case of an electrical hazard.
Many of the older circuit breakers and fuses only protect against overload. Installing safety switches can shut off power if there is an overload in electrical current.
The Risk of Fire
Many of the switchboards found in older homes feature rewire-able switches which pose great fire risk. The constant electrical overloads in your switchboards, especially from home appliances, can significantly lower your ability to protect the electrical circuits. This means that there is a great possibility of your wires overheating or melting behind the switchboard. This can eventually lead to unexpected fire outbreak.
The next time you're moving into an older home, think about sourcing for a qualified electrician to help you make any necessary upgrades. Look for electricians near you to learn more.